The Surgical Circulating Nurse is a non-exempt hourly member of the Surgery Center team participating in its missions and values. Provides safe, quality patient care in the Operating Room area. RN displays confidence, quality, trust, respect and teamwork. Participates in the Center’s convenient, cost-effective and quality-driven care. Is supervised by Surgery Center leadership team and works collaboratively with Medical Director.
- Provides safe, efficient and quality driven direct care to patients utilizing nursing processes and diagnosis in a timely manner, setting appropriate priorities and acting as patient advocate.
- Communicates appropriate patient care information to all O.R. team members and post-anesthesia staff.
- Utilizes nursing judgment, critical thinking skills and interpersonal communication skills to deliver the highest quality nursing care.
- Supervises and educates other members of the surgical team.
- Carries out physician orders correctly and promptly, documenting all activities.
- Completes patient charting accurately and concisely.
- Communicates and interacts with patients, families, physicians and peers in a positive and supportive manner.
- Maintains required professional licenses and certificates.
- Attends and participates in continuing education programs, communication groups, and staff meetings.
- Complies with cost containment practices.
- Participates in quality assurance monitoring.
- Adheres to and assists in the development of policies and procedures.
- Observes all safety precautions and participates in processes meeting or exceeding regulatory and accreditation guidelines.
- Complies with health and safety rules and procedures at the Center.
- Demonstrates knowledge of AORN standards and recommended practices.
- Adheres to standards to maintain a sterile and safe environment in the OR.
- Responsible for observing and maintaining the integrity of the sterile field.
- Works with management to establish appropriate patient clinical criteria, record-keeping, confidentiality of patient information including HIPAA guidelines, processing of scheduling, identification, patient care and QA.
- May assist in other areas of the Surgery Center as needed.
SKILLS and REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current MI licensure and BLS certification.
- ACLS recommended, not required.
- One or more years of demonstrated surgical experiences and skills with knowledge of accepted AORN and State Dept. of Health standards.
- Orthopedic experience preferred
- Demonstrated decision making and organizational skills.
- Change oriented and creative.
- Effective interpersonal skills including those required during stressful situations.
- Will serve in patient care including patient movement or lifting.
- Standing, bending, stooping, kneeling and ability to lift up to 50 pounds.