- Ensures room readiness for the scheduled procedure including instruments, supplies, gear, etc.
- Assists in patient positioning
- Placement of pneumatic tourniquet
- Urinary catheter placement
- Drapes patient within surgeon’s guidelines
- Assists in maintaining hemostasis by direct pressure, use and application of appropriate surgical instruments for the task, placement of ties and suture ligatures, application of chemical hemostatic agents, or other measures as directed by the surgeon.
- Assist in retracting tissues per surgeon’s directive
- Use of electrocautery both monopolar and bipolar
- Claim, ligation and cutting of tissue, per surgeon’s directive
- Assist in placement and suturing of surgical drains
- Closure of all wound layers (fascia, subcutaneous and skin) as per surgeon’s directive
- Prepare ACL graft as directed by the surgeon
- Assists in various procedures including but not limited to laparoscopic, endoscopic, OB-GYN, neurosurgery,Vascular, thoracic, orthopedic, plastic, ENT and robotic
- Assists with CPR of patient, during a cardiac arrest
- Assists with the transfer of patients
- Application of surgical dressings
SKILLS and REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrates the ability to perform in emergent and stressful situations, effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains and updates knowledge of surgical instruments and equipment
- Ability to actively listen to surgeon, patient and team to ensure safe care is provided
- Maintains awareness of patient monitoring and responds appropriately to potential complications
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Uses professional and effective customer service and interpersonal skills at all times
- Demonstrates continued proficiency and skill as a primary scrub as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supports the Mission, Vision and values of Copper Ridge Surgery Center
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited school of Surgical Technology or Surgical Assistant program
- Current certification from Association of Surgical Technologists as a Certified First Assistant
- BCLS required
- Minimum 2 years of First Assistant experience
- Regularly required to use hands to control or feel objects, grasp, move or assemble objects.
- The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; sit, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, twist, squat or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to talk or hear; read, write, understand and carry out directions
- May serve in patient care including patient movement or lifting. Standing, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling and ability to lift up to 50 pounds.